Monday, August 10, 2009

Family Reunited?

Why does it take big events to make family come together? Do not get my wrong I am in constant contact with my Mom, Dad and Sister. However, this past week my dad had open heart surgery so I went to South Carolina to be with him and on the way I picked up my sister in Georgia. When we got to my dads house three of my aunts and an uncle were there from New York. I had not seen this side of my family in over 14 years. I realized how much I missed them.

The wild aunt that reminds me a lot of my sister and the aunt that I stayed with a lot because of her son, my cousin, was the same age as I was. We were born in the same year and in the same month. There is actually another cousin too, who was born in the same year and same month. We were all close. Why had I not kept up with my dads side of the family. I did not love them less, perhaps it was the distance or the fact with my mother and fathers divorce we just did not go to New York for visits anymore.

But that is in the past now. I am going to keep in touch with the family now and it was good to see them. For my dads heart surgery he pulled through in flying colors. Now comes the recovery and even though I am back in MO I will keep a close check on him.

No comments: